All of us experience anxiety and worry at some point. They can sweep over us in a moment with no warning, leaving us feeling powerless. Isn’t it true; “anxiety in a man’s heart weighs him down” (Proverbs 12:25); neither the mind nor body cope well with it. Jesus, being the realist that He was, said “which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?” (Matthew 6:27). Yet, there is something within the human heart that leans toward trying to control the things we cannot control and stressing over it.
“O you of little faith” were Jesus words in Luke 12:28 for identifying his disciples cause for anxiety. While it’s easy to criticize others for being overwhelmed by anxiety, we easily fail to recognise our own vulnerability for it.
How can belief put anxiety in its place?
- Remember, the basic function of belief is surrendered trust in Jesus Christ as Saviour and Lord. This obviously begins with your salvation and seeks to lead you through life in victory under the control of the Holy Spirit. “I love the Lord, because he has heard my voice and my pleas for mercy” (Psalms 116:1).
- Knowing that you “have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ” (Romans 5:1). This is the foundation of your spiritual security. Unconditional peace with God through Christ. No treadmill legalism needed to earn more peace, Jesus has purchased peace on your behalf.
- Realise that your Heavenly Father is intimately aware of every detail in your life; “even the hairs of your head are all numbered” (Matthew 10:30). Nothing escapes His attention regardless of how you feel about what’s going on in your life. You can have confidence when “casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you” (1 Peter 5:7).
- “Because he inclined his ear to me, therefore I will call on him as long as I live” (Psalms 116:2). When you talk with the Lord He listens. His attentive ear should inspire your lifelong desire to maintain a healthy talking relationship with Him.
- At the moment you believed in Jesus, you received the Holy Spirit as the sealing guarantee of eternal life (Ephesians 1:13-14). “You did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, ‘Abba! Father!’” (Romans 8:15). As God’s adopted child, the Holy Spirit grows you further away from fear and closer in intimacy with your Heavenly Father.
Belief moves forward
Small but genuine belief never remains stagnant; it desires to move forward, sometimes slowly and other times more quickly. Belief is a mover; it’s a decision maker of choices growing out of your knowledge of God’s Word. Initially this may not be comfortable or easy, yet as your faith in the Lord and His Word grows, so your confidence in Him will grow also.
Here’s an opportunity to live genuine belief; surrender those issues which hold your belief back from wholehearted surrender to Christ as Lord. Yield to His control over all the issues which you cannot control, but He can.
Jesus instruction stands true today; “do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat, nor about your body, what you will put on” (Luke 12:22), and “do not be anxious about tomorrow” (Matthew 6:34). Your Heavenly Father is able, He’s willing, and He’s ready to meet your needs through your relationship with His Son Jesus Christ. I encourage you to choose belief that puts anxiety in its place.