A Christ Centred, Bible Focused Church
From the founding group of Focus Bible Church (Formerly known as Bay Bible Fellowship) in June 2009, the distinctive characteristic has been a passion for straight forward expositional teaching of God’s written word. Teaching which impacts lives both individually and collectively; allowing God’s Spirit to convict and grow surrendered people toward maturity in Christ.
In response to the Lord’s faithful development of this ministry, the leadership of FBC, with the united support of the membership, decided to change it’s name from Bay Bible Fellowship to Focus Bible Church in early 2019. The name change simply expresses more clearly who we are and how Christ is growing the character of this ministry.
In short, Focus Bible Church exists to express the praise of God’s glory and for His pleasure (Eph 1:3-14). We enjoy our Christian heritage and the rock solid foundation on which we stand (Mt 16:18; 1Co 3:11; Eph 2:20).
Since the beginning of this ministry, and in spite of the many changes in society – including the comings and goings of people in church life, the core values of this ministry have continued undampened. We don’t simply want to identify ourselves as churched people, church attenders, or social Christians. We are not simply trying to influence society by getting unchurched people into church attendance. No, we want to be people who actually grow to know God through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ alone, and obedience to His Word (Heb 1:2-3; 1Pe 2:2; 2Pe 3:18). One of our goals is to be a people proclaiming the gospel of Jesus Christ, making followers of Him, baptising and teaching them to obey Him (Mt. 28:19-20).
Therefore, FBC is growing as a congregation without pretence or demanding personal expectations. To be a place where Jesus’ Cross is central; empowering personal change toward Christ-likeness.
By God’s grace we are increasingly:
* A Church family where time and space to heal from the pains of life is provided.
* A Church home where relationships are grown without demands to conform to any particular religious, organisational, or personal expectations.
* Where selfless love enhances unity and loyalty by applying biblical truths.
* Where questions are welcome and answers are provided.
* A body of diverse Christians, content to be who God has made us in Christ, while growing toward maturity.
* A community of gospel focused people who intentionally share Christ with others (Rom 10:13-15), because we strongly desire to speak well of the Lord Jesus Christ.
* A fellowship growing in our ability not to take offense. Why? Because “Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful” (1Co 13:4-5).
Church is to be where God’s vision for His people is realised; “to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes. Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ” (Ephesians 4:12-15).
With that said, we choose to be a Church of intentional unity. When matters of different understandings arise, it’s realised that time is given to work together through whatever issues exist with the goal of agreement in biblical truth and application (Php 1:27; 2:3; 1Pe 3:8). While this may sound too good to be true; we understand it takes time, selfless love, and patience under the influence of God’s Word and the controlling of His Spirit (2Co 3:17-18). To this we are committed.